Beckie is the host of this series on mental health– Working On Us
Hello, All! Welcome back to “Working on Us” – A series that represents people with mental health illnesses/disorders.
Help Break The Stigma Surrounding Mental Health
- When you first were diagnosed with your mental illness/disorder, did it take a while to get used to your medications that were prescribed to you? If you answer the question, (YES), How did you feel initially?
- Depending on how long you have been on medication, how many times do you think it has been adjusted to make you feel stable?
- Have you ever had a bad reaction to medication?
- Have you ever suffered withdrawals from a certain type of medication, and if so… What type was it?
- Do you work closely with your doctor in regards to your medication intake? (In other words, do you have a good relationship with your doctor?)
- Since your diagnosis, have you ever tried to not take medication and see if you can handle your symptoms of mental illness/disorders on your own? If so, how did that work out for you?
- Tell us briefly how medication has affected your life?
What do you see and how does it make you feel when you see this picture?
My response to the picture prompt;
Life hangs in limbo
A balance needs to be struck
These medications slow my mind
Makes it drowsy and it feels as if I am
Trudging through thick molasses when I try to think
Stopping the medications is not an option that I should consider
Learning to live with their various side-effects is where my well being lies
It is okay to feel a bit overwhelmed when starting the treatment because this is the way
To gain back the control that I need and want over my thoughts and reactions
It’s true that these prescriptions are digging a deep hole in my pocket
But nothing is more precious that my mental health, I know
So I bravely tackle both issues with steadfastness needed
Sticking with my regimen of medicines religiously
And not minding what it costs as long as I
Benefit and my health keeps on improving
My life is getting better because
I believe that it will
I have had episodes of depression like many people. I have never used any medications for it, but have friends and family members who are under medications for treating depression, anxiety and other mental issues, I have seen how it effects them and their thinking. Being steadfast in continuing the medications and believing in the therapy, brings positive results.