Rory has asked what do we think about awards
To be very honest, I love getting an award ( nomination ). It bolsters my self confidence and encourages me to write more and write better.
The awards pros and cons, according to me are;
1. Getting an award is going to boost the bloggers spirits.
2. With an award displayed on their home page, the blogger gets more traffic and maybe more followers.
3. It increases the interaction between different bloggers and forms connections.
4. The overall community spirit gets a boost, when one blogger nominates 5-11 new/ other blogs for the award.
5. They get to know more about each other through the questions asked or when you have to write down about your love of blogging, as per the requirement of some awards.
1. Some bloggers find these awards time consuming and tedious. They don’t want to go to the trouble of drafting the whole blog posts.
2. The selection of nominees/ blogs to gift the award is sometimes too difficult, with a lot of them not acknowledging the gift, or refusing on the grounds that they don’t do awards or sometimes they are not even aware of the gift/nomination.
3. Since no criteria exists for these award gifting, people feel that this doesn’t signify any great honor to receive the award.
4. There are times when multiple types of awards are given to one blog simultaneously and that makes it difficult for the recipient to respond properly.
If there was a fixed criteria for the awards and there was someone in the position to judge and give the awards, this could mean more to the recipient. But since WordPress is not going to perform this function, we have to go by our personal choices in giving, receiving and paying it forward regarding different awards.